Monday, August 18, 2008

vegetarian or just animal lover?


A few days ago, I went to Sam's with the two little girls. We were shopping and sampling the food ( our favorite part), when we walked by the meat section. They had a couple rows of rotisserie chicken cooking in the back. Lauren noticed right away and said, "Mommy- they are cooking the chickens". She said it very sad and I could tell it upset her a little. Being the sensitive mom I am, I said "That's ok, we eat chicken all the time -- it's good". She didn't really say anything, but I could tell she was thinking about it.
Well then tonight, I had Dan grill some chicken breasts and she was outside. She asked, "What are you cooking -Daddy?" Dan told her it was chicken and she got very upset and said, "I am not eating chicken!" And Dan being the sensitive Dad he is said " You eat chicken all the time-- you like McDonalds chicken nuggets- right?" She had to think awhile and then said "Well, I'm NOT eating it!" He did say that was ok, but we'll see what happens from here on out.
You see, we have chickens and have raised them from the time the were itty bitty little chicks. They all have names and Lauren LOVES them, as she loves all animals. But right now, the chickens are her favorite. So I guess we'll see if this will keep her from eating chicken forever or just if she's thinking about it.
Either way it's pretty cute.

No comments: