Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Will I ever sleep 8 hours straight again?

O.K., we've had sickness progressing through our house. It's August, kids and hubby are back in school and we've caught everything that's going around already!! It's going to be a LONG winter if things continue on this way. Anyway last night, Natalie woke up about 1:30 am, yes not too unusual, except last night she just decided it was time to be up. She was very fussy at first and had a terrible stinky diaper, so of course my first thought is that she is sick. No, I'm not sure what her deal was. She wandered the house, played, sat in my lap, played with wipies (one of her favorite things) all while I watched TV. Sadly or maybe fortunately, I was having trouble sleeping, so getting up with her went over o.k. with me. I think she finally fell asleep about 4 a.m. How, her or myself are functioning today, I don't know. No sign of sickness for her yet today. And here I am again, thinking, "Will I ever get 8 straight hours of sleep again?", Will I ever feel rested?" I should be used to it, none of my kids have slept consistently through the night until they were about TWO-- no exaggeration. I know it's partly my fault, I've never been able to let them cry it out. It just never made sense to me. Nurse them and back to sleep within minutes or lie there in bed, awake, listening to them cry, waiting for them to stop--wide awake for LONG lengths of time. And yes, at our well child visits, when the pediatrician asks if the baby has her own room and sleeps in her own bed, I flat out lie!!! She's my fourth kid, I've done it the same with all of them, why change now?? I just look forward to the day when they are teenagers and want to sleep. I'm going to be right there with them.

No comments: